We see most video editors in the late stages of their careers. But this isn’t simply the case for video editors who go through college, but also for video editors who are in a midlife crisis and don’t want to lose the jobs they have at previous jobs. They want to go back to school and do a degree in whatever field they choose in hopes a new career could be more successful. We see this in the video production industry as well. As the demand shifts, so does the supply.
What kinds of skills are essential for a video editor?
Education is at the very core of video editing skills and is what will make us stand out from the crowd, which is why we’re always looking for more video editors. You need to take a look at the skills outlined below in order to understand how to succeed in this market.
1. Video editor can’t help but find great content every day. A video editor must put in the time to discover what is great at that particular site in order to be able to tell the viewer what to watch next. This means a video editor will need to study a great deal in order to keep up with it.
2. Most video editing requires editing for maximum visual impact. A video editor will find themselves with a good eye for great video content that is worth watching and can’t help but be impressed with the content every now and then. If you are the kind of person who finds a movie to really excel at, then that’s what you’ll need to work for.
Related: A List of Best Free Video Editing Software
3. Video editing should be a hands on and fun hobby. While not everyone can make a career out of this, not every video edit is going to be fun. Video editing can be tedious work and even if you are passionate about it, it can be an occasional chore. However, if you just love it, don’t let passion run off the deep end. Get out of your comfort zone and take the video editing challenge.
Related: 5 Video Editors Must Learn Before Hiring
4. Video editing should include some video manipulation. Many video editing software and websites give great quality videos, but don’t give a lot of room to edit. Video manipulation must be included in your videos if you want to make a decent living doing this. For video editing, some good videos include the one’s below:
Related: Best Free Video Editing Software
5. Video editing is about the
dop course, filmmaking udemy, videography for beginners, video production training, videography basics pdf